MBI | Rules & Code of Conduct
Trainings and Workshops
1. Users must attend trainings prior to accessing any microscopes in the facility. At this moment, hands-on training is only available for MBI staff/students/MBI collaborators.
2. For operation of microscopes, 1-2 hours hands-on training will be organized based on the following requests:
a) Regular Training Request
- Trainings would be conducted on a regular basis, provided by our core staff or vendor.
b) On-demand Training Request
- Students/staff who wish to be trained have to gather a total of 5 MBI staff/students/MBI collaborators to initialize an on-demand training.
- Simply submit the filled Training Request Form to Microscopy staff and we will organize a training as soon as possible.
- Email endorsement from PI is acceptable if the PI is on oversea trip.
c) Waiting List Training Request
- Students/staff who are unable to gather 5 MBI staff/students/MBI collaborators for On-demand training will be enrolled in Waiting List training.
- Microscopy Core staff will conduct trainings for users who have submitted their request regardless of the total number of trainees available in the Waiting List training Request within 2 weeks from the date of forms submitted.
3. MBI PIs do not need to gather 5 staff/students to initialize On-demand training for themselves. Individual training will be organized for MBI PIs upon request.
4. Users who fail to attend the registered training session without prior notice or valid reason will not be able to attend similar training for one month from the supposed date of training.
5. Regular workshops will be organized for those who wish to learn more about microscopes.
(MBI Microscope Workshop is conducted on Fridays, 2:30pm to 3:30pm at T-lab, level 5)
Booking and Cancellation
1. There are 2 groups of microscope users in Calcium booking system:
a) Novice - Users can only book allocated microscopes from 9am to 10pm, Monday to Friday
(Novice users for Biostation CT can register their slots available 24-hourly, Monday to Friday.)
b) Autonomous - Users can book the allocated microscopes at all time.
2. The following flow chart denotes the requirements for promoting from Novice to Autonomous
The criteria to pass the test that promotes access right from Novice to Autonomous:
a) Paper test – 20 multiple choice questions; 80% to pass;
b) Hands-on test – The users need to demonstrate their level of proficiency in the system.
Users who are keen on the promotion of user right from Novice to Autonomous are required to take up individual test for every microscope of interest. Users who failed the test can only retake it after one month.
Kindly look for the person-in-charge of the microscopes of interest for the promotion of user right
3. User must use their login for booking. Users should not book for any other persons besides themselves.
4. Microscopy staff in-charge will assist in booking of non-office hour sessions for Novice users, if the Novice users are found competent in carrying out their imaging sessions without assistance from staff. Please note that such requests will have to be made during office hours via email.
5. Booking procedures are as such:
a) Booking slots for the following week will be available for all to fill up as requested slots from Monday 9am to Wednesday Noon, via Calcium Booking System.
b) On Wednesday Noon, notification emails will be sent out to users who have conflicting slots.
c) Users will have to resolve their conflicting slots before Friday Noon. The entire slot (including both conflicting and non-conflicting slots) will then be available for all to book, based on first-come-first-serve format.
d) The remaining slots for the following week will be available for all to book based on first-come-first-serve format after Friday Noon.
6. In the event of any incidents during:
a) Office hour (8.30am - 6pm Monday to Friday):
Report the matter to Microscopy staff immediately. We will resolve the issues as soon as possible.
b) Non-office hour (6pm - 8.30am Monday to Friday, Saturday & Sunday):
Stop using the system (depending on severity). Report the incidents to both Microscopy staff and PPMS immediately. We will look into the issues on next working day.
7. Users are urged to be punctual for the sessions booked, and leave punctually when sessions expire.
8. Users who are late for more than 30 minutes without informing any Microscopy staff may have their slot cancelled and given to other users on the waiting list.
9. Cancellations should be made as early as possible. Latest being 24 hours before the booked sessions for live cell imaging microscopes, and 2 hours for other microscopes. If users are unable to cancel the booking, kindly contact Microscopy staff for assistance.
1. Users need to personally apply for the N3 license issued by NEA. The N3 license has to be sought prior to the usage of the systems, even if the user has been trained to use the system. For more info kindly approach Microscopy staff.
2. Users are required to attend the Non-ionizing safety training provided in-house by NUS or MBI.
General Rules when Using Microscopes
1. Users are urged to alarm the persons inside the microscope rooms prior to entering the room.
2. For all light sources requiring cooling time (eg Argon 488), do not switch ON/OFF within 15 minutes. Kindly allow 15 minutes interval between ON->OFF & OFF ->ON.
3. Do not modify any hardware configuration of the microscopes.
a) If the hardware settings need to be changed, must inform Microscopy staff prior to any action.
b) For emergency cases, if changes need to be done, please inform the Microscopy staff immediately after the change.
c) Users must approach Microscopy staff for any suggestion for change of hardware settings
4. Clean the affected area if there is a spillage and inform Microscopy staff immediately - please be extra careful when cleaning the lens.
5. Clean the oil objectives or wipe the water lens immediately after use.
6. Clean the area of use. Do not leave any sample behind.
7. Turn off CO2 supply when you finish your experiment.
1. Users who are abusing the booking system are subjected to Penalty of being disallowed from using the microscopes if they repeatedly violate the booking policy. Examples of violation:
a) Not showing up for the booked sessions
b) Showing up late (more than 30 minutes) without informing Microscopy staff
c) Not finishing on time and extending into the next user's time slot
d) No prior booking for microscopes but found to be operating them
e) Modifying any hardware settings without consulting Microscopy staff
f) In the case of gross negligence, the user may be held liable for all damages other than being disallowed from the systems.
2. Users who violate the user policy are subjected to the following penalty:
a) 1st time violation - a warning email will be issued to the violating user.
b) 2nd time violation - a warning email will be sent to the violating user and his/her PI.
c) 3rd time violation - a warning email will be sent to all MBI members. The user will be banned from using the microscope for a period of 7 days.
For any queries, please contact Dr Chin Fei Li, Jasmine.
Prepared by: Ms Wong Pei Yee, Microscopy Core, MBI, NUS, dated 12 Mar 2013
Approved by: Dr. Felix Margadant, Microscopy Core, MBI, NUS, dated 12 Mar 2013